P: (201) 670-3956
F: (201) 670-3959
1 Harding Plaza
1 Harding Plaza Glen Rock
M-F: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Phone: (201) 670-3956
The Glen Rock Athletic Club, which was founded in 1926 and incorporated in 1938, is one of the town's oldest operating institutions. Although we have since refreshed our Club with modern amenities such as our Tap Room, Game Room, and outdoor Patio, we remain an organization dedicated to our fellow Members and Glen Rock.
The original focus for the club was the semi-pro baseball team, the Rockers. The team, which was created largely by the late Capt. John J. Faber, known as "Glen Rock's Mr. Baseball," competed on Doremus Oval (now named Faber Memorial Field) against the Midland Park Rangers, Allendale Allendalers, DuMuro Comets of Passaic, Newburgh Jewels and other teams in the neighboring areas.
Over the course of the Athletic Club’s semi-pro history, the team had former Yankees legend Whitey Ford and Midland Park native Johnny Vander Meer pitch for the team. In August 1951, Ford took time off from his duties with the U.S. Army in Fort Monmouth and pitched a shutout for the Rockers, striking out 17 hitters.
Larry Doby, the second African-American player to be signed to play in the major leagues and first to do so in the American League, played for the Rockers under Faber before Major League Baseball integrated minority players in 1946. Doby would enter the major leagues after a stint with the Athletic Club and go on to appear in seven All-Star games and place second in the 1954 MVP voting.
Today, the Glen Rock Athletic Club is a destination for local families who wish to gather and socialize. The GRAC holds many events designed to bring our community closer together. We also make regular donations to various organizations which benefit our children's education and athletic endeavors.
Please see our website, grac.club, for more information about membership or for Hall rental.